Reading - Our Team finished being introduced to all letters and letter sounds, but we continue to review them and learn new passwords each week. Kinders also have been introduced to the strategy of tapping CVC words to read and write them. Here's what we are starting to learn about this concept:
- CVC words are words that have a consonant-vowel-consonant spelling (ex: rug, lip, cap, net, dog)
- when you tap a word, you tap each sound from beginning to end
- we tap words on our fingers starting with the pointer finger and moving toward the pinky for each sound
- after tapping sounds, we blend them together (ex: r-u-g, rrrruuuuugggg, rug) to say the word
- we can tap words we read, or words we want to write
Writing - We solidified our recent learning about drawing 5 star illustrations and are working to keep that in mind as we move onto writing 5 star words/sentences.
5 star illustrations have:
- who is in the narrative
- where the narrative takes place
- what happened in the narrative
- details added to the picture
- careful coloring
5 star words/sentences have:
- uppercase/lowercase letters where we need them
- stretched or tapped out words/sounds
- finger spaces between words
We have yet to add the last two criteria for 5 star words. More to come!
Math - Pictures for this update! Kinders are learning lots about solid shapes. We will continue to review flat shapes (circle, triangle, rectangle, square, hexagon need to be mastered) as we move forward in learning about the attributes of solid shapes. We learned that the biggest difference between flat and solid shapes is that solids stick up when we put them on a table but flat shapes do not! The solids kinders are learning about are: sphere, cylinder, cube, and cone.
Yoga and Mindfulness - You may have heard your kinder use the word "mindful" at home, at least that is my hope! We have been using the word mindful to describe things to be aware of and keep in mind as we learn at school. Being mindful of our bodies in space and relation to others has been an important focus. We have been using "body scans" to think about and relax each part of our body as we get ready to do a whole group activity, enter the classroom, etc. Body scans from head to toe have been a great way for us to get our body and brain ready for learning. Here are a few pictures of some brave kinder yogis in warrior 2 pose and also testing out their balance in warrior 3 pose. Brief yoga breaks help us refocus, be calm, and keep us in the green zone.
Ask your kinder -
- Choose a CVC word and ask them to tap it out.
- What are some of the things you need to do to have 5 star writing?
- Name the flat shapes you know.
- Name the solid shapes you know.
- Find solid shapes in your home.
- What do you need to be mindful of when playing in the snow?
- - Ignite the Night - Build a City for 2050
- - Report cards going home
- - Teacher Workshop - Early Release
- - Winter Break
- May 31 - No School - Kindergarten Screening
- June 1 - No School - Kindergarten Screening